Latest observations and satellite imageries indicate that the deep depression over Comorin area moved west-northwestwards with a speed of 38 kmph during past 06 hours and intensified into a cyclonic storm ‘OCKHI’ and lay centred at 0830 hrs IST of today, the 30th November, 2017 over Comorin area and neighbourhood near Latitude 7.5º N and Longitude 77.5º E, about 340 km west-northwest of Galle (Sri Lanka), 60 km south of Kanyakumari, 120 km southwest of Thiruvananthapuram and 480 km east-southeast of Minicoy. The system is very likely to move west-northwestwards towards Lakshadweep Islands and intensify further into a severe cyclonic storm during next 24 hours.
|Date/Time(IST)||Position(Lat. 0N/ long. 0E)||Maximum sustained surface wind speed (kmph)||Category of cyclonic disturbance|
|30/0830||7.5/77.5||60-70 GUSTING TO 80||CYCLONIC STORM|
|30/1130||7.8/77.0||60-70 GUSTING TO 80||CYCLONIC STROM|
|30/1730||8.5/75.8||70-75 GUSTING TO 85||CYCLONIC STORM|
|30/2330||9.0/75.0||80-90 GUSTING TO 100||CYCLONIC STORM|
|01/0830||9.5/74.2||90-100 GUSTING TO 110||SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|01/1730||10.4/72.7||95-105 GUSTING TO 115||SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|02/0830||11.4/71.2||100-110 GUSTING TO 120||SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|02/1730||12.4/69.7||110-120 GUSTING TO 130||SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
(i) Heavy Rainfall warning:
- Rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places very likely over south Tamil Nadu & south Kerala during next 24 hours and isolated heavy falls over interior Tamil Nadu and Kerala during subsequent 24 hours.
- Rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy rainfall at a few places and isolated extremely heavy falls very likely over Lakshadweep area during next 48 hours.
(ii) Wind warning:
- Gale wind speed reaching 65-75 kmph gusting to 85 kmph very likely along & off South Kerala during next 48 hours and along & off south Tamilnadu during next 24 hours.
- Squally winds speed reaching 55-65 kmph gusting to 75 kmph very likely along & around Lakshadweep Islands during next 12 hours and increase thereafter with wind speeds becoming 80-90 kmph gusting to 100 kmph from tonight, the 30th November 2017.
(ii) Sea condition:
- Sea conditions would be high along & off South Kerala coast during next 48 hours and along & off south Tamilnadu coast during next 24 hours.
- Sea conditions would be very rough to high over and around Lakshadweep Islands during next 12 hours and high to very high during subsequent 48 hours.
(iii) Damage Expected over south Kerala (Alappuzha, Kottayam, Idukki, Kollam, Pathanathitta, Thiruvananthapuram districts), adjoining districts of south Tamil Nadu (Kanyakumari, Tutukudi and Tirunelveli districts) and Lakshadweep Islands: Damage to power and communication lines due to breaking of tree branches and uprooting of trees. Damage to thatched houses: Major damage to kutcha houses and minor damage to pucca roads. Damage to paddy crops, banana, Papaya trees and orchards.
(iv) Action suggested
- Lakshadweep Islands: Fishermen along & off Lakshadweep Islands are advised not to venture into the sea during next 48 hours.
- South Tamil Nadu and South Kerala : Fishermen are advised not to venture into the sea along & off South Tamil Nadu coast during next 24 hrs and along and off South Kerala coasts during next 48 hours.